Jim Collins, of Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies , came up with the term “Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal” or a “BHAG.”
Wikipedia describes a BHAG as “ a strategic business statement similar to a vision statement which is created to focus an organization on a single medium-long term organization-wide goal which is audacious, likely to be externally questionable, but not internally regarded as impossible.” (see “Big Hairy Audacious Goal” )
I love the words “AUDACIOUS,” “LIKELY TO BE EXTERNALLY QUESTIONABLE,” and, significantly, “BUT NOT INTERNALLY REGARDED AS IMPOSSIBLE” – these are the kinds of words that stir the imagination, thrill the soul, push one far, far out of their comfort zone, and cause one to strive relentlessly for the unimaginable.
In my case, there’s not much of an organization yet, but there is certainly at BHAG for me to rally around… I give you my BHAG…
To build the world’s largest, methodically and precisely formatted, evolving repository of the vast wealth of human skills for the purpose of unleashing the vast untapped human potential.
And, here’s the answers to the big “Why?” questions… Why does this blow my mind? Why does this thrill my soul? Why does this keep me coming back to work, year after year? Because of its potential…
- To unleash the vast untapped human potential
- To level the learning curve for individuals and communities across the planet through the user-friendly, effective and efficient transfer of individual skill sets
- To democratize information and the acquisition of life-altering skills
- To preserve the human heritage (see “The World Heritage Skills Conservation Project™” )
- To be a catalyst for the evolution of skill to higher and higher levels of best practices
Finally, “How?” How do I see the realization of my Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal playing out?
- Build the Rapid Skill Transfer Protocol™ (RSTP™) – to allow for the rapid transfer of skills between individuals
- Build the SkillsOPedia™ wiki platform for the (RSTP™) – To allow the community of users to build upon best practices among individuals for any given skill set
Please stop back to follow the evolution of this incredible journey. And, may you find your very own, passion-filled, send-you-over-the-moon BHAG!!! Love and best wishes, Renee